Even the most avid kayakers will tell you how expensive it is to run afoul of nature. Whether it’s a rogue wave swallowing your equipment or the foreign object you snagged, there are plenty of reasons why buying new gear might not be in your budget. Luckily, used kayaks can be found for sale at prices that won’t break the bank.
Before you start your search, check with your local recreational sporting goods store to see if they offer rental kayaks. If so, they might have a few used models for sale at low prices – it can’t hurt to ask. You could also try looking on second-hand sites such as Craigslist or eBay, though this runs the risk of dealing with strangers – always a plus when purchasing used.
If you’re looking to get your hands on some kayaking gear without breaking the bank, check out the following tips for finding cheap kayaks in your area.
- Check sites like Craigslist or eBay to find listings in your region. You can also search through classified ads within your local newspaper.
- Look for signs at your local sporting goods, outdoors and surplus stores to see if they carry used priced kayaks. You can find great deals on these sites, especially when people upgrade their equipment.
- Check out the classifieds in waterways and aquatic magazines such as Canoe & Kayak Magazine. These publications usually carry classified ads and listings for used and demo models.
- Your local sporting goods store may offer a selection of demo kayaks that the public can try out at no cost before they commit to buying one. This is an excellent way to get your hands on some high-quality, yet slightly used models without paying full price.
- Visit a kayak race and ask the competitors if they’re willing to sell you their used equipment. Be careful not to be too aggressive with your approach, or you could end up offending someone.
Finding a cheap kayak shouldn’t be difficult, especially if you’re willing to put in the time. With these tips, buying used gear shouldn’t feel like an impossible task – just make sure that you inspect any equipment before making your purchase!